What is lead poisoning? Why is it harmful?
Childhood Lead Poisoning is the most common pediatric public health problem, yet it is entirely preventable. Once a child has been poisoned, the impairment it may cause is irreversible. Lead harms children’s nervous systems and is associated with reduced IQ, behavioral problems, and learning disabilities. In large doses, it can cause coma, convulsions and death. While lead paint in homes built before 1978 continues to be the most common source of lead exposure, there are other sources of lead that can poison a child or adult. No amount of lead is safe for the body poisoning.