Knowledge Base

How do I get a permit to carry pistols or revolvers?

Category: Police Department

Effective 01/01/15:

Applications for Temporary State Permits can be picked up at the Monroe Police Department. The application must be filled out completely and notarized. Here's what is needed with the application.

  • Two (2) certified check or money orders, one for $87.00, another for $70.00, both made payable to "Monroe Police Department"
  • Copy of your birth certificate
  • Certificate or letter of competency from a certified NRA instructor
  • A recent passport size photo of the applicant
  • Your drivers license (the officer will make a copy of it)

The applicant must be at least 21 years of age. The Temporary Permit is valid for 60 days and cannot be renewed. During the 60 days applicant must apply for a State Permit. If the permit expires without obtaining a state permit, you must reapply for a temporary permit. The permit is valid for carrying firearms only, not for the purchase of firearms. State law requires fingerprinting and criminal history checks. The department has eight weeks to process the application. No application will be issued if authorities have reason to believe the applicant has been convicted of a felony or that any other conditions exist for which the issuance for possession of a pistol or revolver is prohibited.

Once you complete the application and meet the above requirements, you will need to be fingerprinted. Please call the Police Department at 203-261-3622 prior to coming to check the availability of a Detective.

Updated 1/16/2018 12:08 PM
Was this page helpful? Yes No
Thanks for your feedback!