The Town of Monroe, through the Senior Center, provides transportation to residents who are age 60 and older or individuals with a disability over the age of 18. The program is governed by policy and procedures which serve as many people as possible in a fair, efficient and effective manner.
Riders must submit a completed registration card to become a member of the Monroe Senior Center before transportation is provided.
We are a curb to curb service. Our drivers cannot assist riders. If a rider is unable to safely enter / exit a vehicle or navigate their appointment, they must provide their own caregiver. Caregivers are not charged for ridership. Rides are free of charge. Donations are encouraged. Transportation is available to the following towns: Monroe, Trumbull, Shelton, Stratford and Bridgeport as well as the VA Hospital in West Haven by appointment. Medical appointments have priority. Residents may use the transportation to attend programs at the Senior Center, shopping, hairdresser, library, visiting friends, adult day care, etc.
Scheduling ~ Monday through Friday:
1. The Transportation Coordinator is available Monday through Thursday from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm and from 8:30 am to 12:00 pm on Friday. Appointments should be called in at least five days before an appointment. You may schedule appointments up to six months in advance.
2. Appointments within Monroe are available between 9:00 am and 2:30 pm. All out of Town appointments must be between the hours of 9:30 am and 2:00 pm. Only one appointment is permitted per day, with the exception of a pharmacy visit or lab work after a medical appointment, if time allows.
3. All appointments must conclude by 3:30 pm.
4. Reservations and cancelations cannot be made with the drivers. Any changes or additions to the schedule must be done through the Transportation Coordinator.
5. Every effort will be made to accommodate individual appointments. However, an alternative time may be suggested in order to serve all requests. Riders need to be flexible.
6. The bus is used every Friday for “local” shopping only. Local shopping takes place on Fridays (unless a holiday falls on a Friday) and must be scheduled in advance either weekly or monthly. No additional stops will be made during these shopping trips.
7. It is the responsibility of the rider to notify the Transportation Coordinator of “standing” appointments on a regular basis. For example, if you have a hair appointment every Wednesday at 1:00 pm, you must call the Transportation Coordinator monthly to secure the time slot.
8. It is the responsibility of the rider to schedule their appointments, please do not ask the staff to call a physician’s office / beauty salon on your behalf. An exception to this rule: the Transportation Coordinator will assist with the scheduling of on-going therapy appointments.
9. The Transportation Coordinator will call you a day or two before your scheduled appointments with an approximate pick-up time.
For a full set of our transportation guidelines click here.
Monroe Senior Center
235 Cutlers Farm Road
Monroe, CT 06468
Phone: (203) 452-2815
Fax: (203 452-2965
Director of Community & Social Services
Elderly Services Coordinator
Hours: Mon 08:30 am-12:30pm., Tues, Thurs, & Fri: 8:30am - 4:30pm
Monday - Friday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm