On January 14, 2019 the Town Council adopted First Selectman Kellogg's proposal to amend budget adoption dates.
The dates up to and including the First Selectman's budget delivery to Town Council are unchanged. The annual budget referendum date is moved from the first Tuesday in April to the first Tuesday in May.
The primary purpose of these changes are to provide:
• An additional month for the public to participate in the budget process.
• More flexibility in the scheduling of Town Council and Board of Finance meetings for both the operating and capital budgets.
• The ability for a final budget to be presented at referendum that is based on greater due diligence and fewer assumptions. Certain information, such as state aid, is often better understood later in the process. Actual medical insurance rates are not available until mid-April.
A summary of the changes is as follows:
• Town Council to forward budget as proposed to Board of Finance: Changed from February 28 to March 15.
• Board of Finance delivers its final proposed budget to First Selectman: Changed from March 21 to April 20.
• Annual Budget Referendum: Changed from the first Tuesday in April to the first Tuesday in May.
• Date of the second referendum, if required: Change from three weeks from first referendum to two weeks from first referendum.
Click here to review the full proposal, which was accepted by Town Council.